Welcome to Alrewas Village
The Parish Council have donated a projector to the Alrewas Arts Festival committee forcommunity use - if your group would like to book this for an event please contact Peter Smith.
The name is derived from Alder Wash (Swamp) due to the Alder trees that used to grow in and around the flood plain besides which the village is situated.
An attractive village beside the River Trent, Alrewas dates back many hundreds of years and still retains a historic charm with its half timbered thatched cottages that line Main Street, the old mill at the North of the Village and its 12th Century church.
Situated just inside the National Forest, much of Alrewas is designated conservation area. The Trent and Mersey canal runs through the village where locks and bridges evoke the atmosphere of the canal's heyday. Cut between 1770 and 1777 it was England's first commercial canal.
In 2004 Alrewas won the district title of the Best Kept Village Competition and in 2005 was chosen to represent Staffordshire in the Calor Village of the Year Competition.
Short video of Alrewas life
There are a great number of community groups within the village that provide clubs and activities for all ages, and a resident led group are currently in the early stages of developing a new sports and community facility for Alrewas.
National Memorial Arboretum
Alrewas was chosen as the site for the National Memorial Arboretum, the 150-acre site being a tribute to those who have given their lives in the service of their country or suffered as a result of conflict. Since its early stages of development when it has achieved international significance, its management has been taken over by the Royal British Legion. Its website can be viewed here: http://www.memorialtreesuk.org.uk